Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Calm Before The Storm

Here I am with a long layover in Newark, preparing to get to board my flight to Berlin by way of Amsterdam. There's not much to report, yet. The journey so far has been emotional, but not particularly eventful. I had a bit of a breakdown last night when I realized that I still had no idea where I was going to stay once I got to Berlin, and for a while I was convinced I wasn't going to get everything to fit in one big bag and a carry-on and I'd be stuck dragging three wheelie bags all over the city. But I did eventually get everything to fit, and I woke up to an email of my new address (though there's still the issue of where I'm going to stay until Monday to figure out). In any case what felt last night like a horrible ordeal, this morning turned into an adventure! I'm going to a foreign country with nowhere to stay, and no idea what I'll do, isn't it wonderful?

It was tough saying goodbye to the family, though. Mom and Dan brought me to the airport today, and Mom hugged me about four times before I finally got in line for security. Dan hugged me twice, but only after I made him. I said goodbye to Dad last night, and I could tell he was incredibly jealous of the journey I'm about to take. I vaguely remember hugging Meghan goodbye before she left for NYC yesterday morning. I'll miss all of them dearly, but in this day of the internet it won't be hard for us to keep in touch.

On the plane ride from Buffalo I started reading one of the German books Dad gave me for Christmas (it was somewhat of a theme). This one's called Culture Shock, and it's about what to expect in terms of German customs and etiquette. It's interesting so far, but something in the "First Impressions" section caught my attention:
"Standard conversation topics of the foreign community here are complaints about this or that aspect of German life, this or that facet of German personality, their being treated this way or that way. Many go on and on about how much they want to leave the place. But somehow they manage to stay on and on.

More typical than the latter legion of grousers are those who will tell you they originally came for a job or an assignment, expecting to stay only a short time. But then they met a mate, acquired some new friends, got involved in this project or that, found this or that aspect of the country intriguing and then, well, you know. Germany exercises a strong inertial pull on people."
So basically Germany is just like Buffalo? Then I should feel right at home.

P.S. Credit for the phrase "Semester Ablog" goes to my good friend Iain and his videoblog from Scotland last semester.

7 comments:

mceve said...

We miss you already <3

Kathy said...

What a journey you are about to embark on. We know you will do well as in everything else you attempt. Keep us posted with blogs and pictures. We love you.
Roy, Kathy, Troy

Eleanor said...

Semester Ablog! HAHAHAHAHA!! That's great! The hockey interwebs already feel a little less fun since you're away, but I hope you'll find a way to drop by IPB or TWC (or even IPB AND TWC) every now and then!

More than that, though, I hope you have a FANTASTIC time over there!

-Pookie

Heather B. said...

I hope you'll find a way to drop by IPB or TWC (or even IPB AND TWC)

Hmph.

I'm not sure how I feel about knowing your real name. I always wondered but now I don't know if I like it (I don't know if I like knowing, not your name. It's a lovely name.)

I love the Germany-Buffalo parallel. No wonder Yo-Yo loves us. He feels right at home here :D

Gambler said...

Oh no, the whole family's reading this one. Better keep it clean! Hi, Aunt Kathy!

Pookie, thanks for the well-wishes. My hockey soul is a lot sadder without hanging out in the IPB comment section.

Don't worry, Heather, I'll be making the rounds of all my favorite hockey blogs as often as I can, and Top Shelf is definitely on the list. I'm sorry if I've ruined the mystery of my identity for you, but the space for plain "Semester Ablog" was already taken, and I was so married to the title that I couldn't think of anything else. And since this is primarily a way to keep in touch with my family, I felt weird putting "Gambler's Semester Ablog." You have my full permission to ignore the knowledge of my real name and continue calling me Gambler, though.

Heather, the only reason Yo-Yo loves Buffalo is because he loves me, remember? Gosh!

Anonymous said...

Du hast Recht. Ich beneide dich ja, aber dein Erlebnis wird in den kommenden Wochen und Monate genau das... deins. Auf jeden Fall wird es sicher ein tolles Abenteur sein. Viel Spass!

Unknown said...

Dad sucks because he can write to you in German and I have no idea what he is saying.



*said like our favorite talking fish*

Real good Dad... real good.
I felt smarter this morning... I felt smarter this morning.